Monday, March 19, 2012

Keezer Collar Build!


This weekend I started and finished my keezer collar build!  The hardest part was waiting for everything (paint, glue, liquid nails, etc) to dry.  Enough words more pics:


Sneak peak

Sanding Poplar 
Miter joint

Paint
Paint close up






When at Lowe's picking up supplies for the build, I saw the HAMMERED white spray paint and determined it was way to fitting not to purchase it.  I had to go with Hammered white since you will be hammered once the beers starts flowing!

HAMMERED White
Stainless Steel Shank Flanges






Perlick Perl 525 Faucets
4 in Stainless Steel Shanks




Tap mock up
Faucet close up

Exploded overivew
Test fit



Install insulation
Weather stripping close up

Insulation 

Gas line 


CO2 Distributor close up

Mounting CO2 distributor



Gas Distribution
Side overview


Keezer overview
Faucet close up
  

Final product

A list of most of the materials I used for this keezer collar build can be found at by click the link below:



Cheers,

Philip




"Dear, I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long!!!" 
-Bruce Springsteen

11 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! What were the final dimensions on the build?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collar is the same dimensions as the outside perimeter of the chest freezer and it added 6 inches to the overall height.

      Delete
  2. how did you adjust the thermostat? I am having huge issues with this, it is either 0 or 60 so far after a week of toying with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up buying a Johnson analog temperature controller from Midwest Supplies. I spend 2 weeks messing around with the internal thermostat without success and I got frustrated even to go buy one. Good Luck! I hope you have more success than me.

      Cheers,

      Philip

      Delete
  3. I used an STC1000 thermostat, they can be found most places online for around $20 and work great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam,

      Thanks for the tip! That is good to know for future builds.

      Cheers,

      Philip

      Delete
  4. Hey, nice job on the keezer build! I an looking at building something similar myself. I'm curious on how many corny kegs you can fit in a freezer that size. I'm guessing four or five plus a small CO2 tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MyLastNickel,

      Currently, I only have 3 kegs but judging by how much room is left you are able to fit 4 kegs, a 5 lb. CO2 bottle, and maybe a 3 gallon keg or randall. There is a shelf instead the freezer that limits how many kegs will kit. If you go with a larger collar, like an 8", you probably will be able to fit a 5th corny on the shelf. Note that 5 kegs on a 5lb CO2 bottle is not ideal and you should have a spare for when you run out of gas.

      Cheers,

      Philip

      Delete
    2. 4 kegs with the option of a 5th sounds pretty nice to me. I just received two taps with shanks, handles and mounting hardware via FedEx and I am supposed to pick up a used 7 cubic foot Holiday freezer tonight. Right now I just have my two cornies in a fridge with picnic taps. Not ideal but gets the job done. Can't wait to get started on my keezer build. Thanks for sharing yours!

      -MLN

      Delete
  5. I'm looking to pick up that same Holiday chest freezer at Lowes. Could you provide your opinion on the quality of the freezer? Have you had any problems with it? Would you buy the same freezer again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice quality chest freezer. I have not had any problems with it. It is quiet, efficient, and holds temperature really well. I would buy a Holiday freezer again. I hope this helps. Feel free to comment if you have anymore questions.

      Cheers,

      Philip

      Delete

Fluke Brewing Followers